Friday, November 9, 2012

All I can say is that my life is very plain. I like watching the puddles gather rain.

You exist... but do you live?


I was sitting at home, having a moment, when some overwhelming despair came over me.  Not for me, not for my situation, not for anything that I was experiencing, but for someone else.  For those that have no homes, those that have no families, those without food, without water, without medical care, without rights.  And I started to think...

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” -- Helen Keller

 
I need to do something.  For someone who I know may not ever be able to return the favor.  And I need to do it soon. 
 
When I was younger, I always did this.  I helped friends, acquaintances, strangers.  It didn't matter.  You had less than me, and you needed something, I was there.  But somehow, moving to the city has taken this from me.  I have become reclusive.  I care more about making sure I am stable than helping my fellow man.  Maybe this is why I suffer.  Maybe this is why things are being taken from me.  Maybe I am not where I am supposed to be.
 
But where do I go from here?  Do I attempt to create my own nonprofit, which has been my dream?  Where do I start?  Do I run away from everything I know?
 
November is the month of gratitude.  And so far, I've kept up on my thanks.  And I feel pretty good about it.
 
But I need more... Each day I will do something for someone without the expectation that they return the favor.  Anyone else want to join?

"You see, I do something real good for three people. And then when they ask how they can pay it back, I say they have to pay it forward to three more people. Each.  So nine people get helped. Then those people have to do 27, then it sort of spreads out, see. To 81. Then 243. Then 729. Then 2,187. See how big it gets?” -- Trevor, Pay It Forward
 
Pinned Image



-R.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment