Sunday, October 7, 2012

I live on the corner of Grey Street and the end of the world.

I hope that I can bring you as much inspiration as I discover for myself along the way.


Starting a blog is always the hardest thing to do online.  Most people treat it as an online journal, and have no intention of anyone reading it.  A very lucky few understand exactly what it's supposed to be: a window into someone's world... conversing with those who might relate.... inspiring those who have lost hope.  No wonder people worry so much about this.

I'll try my hardest to keep away from the diary-esque writing.  I want people to join me in my journey... to come along on adventures, and blunders, and life.  But before I can take you anywhere, you need to know where I've been.

I'm 26 years old.  I'll be 27 in January.  I've lived in a small town in upstated New York for almost my whole life... that is, until I moved to Phoenix.  And by small, I'm talking a population of 1600 people... and one stop light.  Anywho, not important.  I've been living in Phoenix since the summer of 2009.  While here, I met the love of my life.. "James".

James is a great guy.  He's honest, respectful, dedicated, passionate... everything a girl would ever want.  We dated for a year before he asked me to marry him.  I was so ecstatic!  We had a two year engagement so I could ensure that we could pay for the wedding.  We had our own place, a puppy who we considered our son, and the near perfect little life....

... and then James decided to move us into his parents' house, so we could save up for the wedding.  I was still paying as much as I had been at our old place... I was being treated like dirt by all his family... and I became severely depressed.  But I stuck it out because I loved him so.

About three months ago, I got into a fight with James' stepdad and was kicked out of the house.  I told James that I had the money to get an apartment and asked him to come with me....


... My life collapsed.  James refused to leave his parents' house, and I was forced to leave, alone.  I had to contact all of my family and friends to let them know that James and I were no longer getting married... I had to call wedding venues and caterers and everyone, trying to get my money back... I had to move into my father's house, which I really didn't want to, but had no other choice.

My best friend of 18 years decided that she and her girlfriend wanted a new start on life, so I offered to get an apartment with them if they moved out to Phoenix.  I picked them up in Las Vegas at 2 AM.  We spent a couple weeks looking for an apartment, found a great one, and moved in.

My best friend, "Nancy", and her girlfriend "Maggie" were a blast for the first two weeks.  We did a bunch of stuff together, and talked about decorating our new place.... and then Maggie's true colors began to emerge.  Nancy and I are six years Maggie's senior, and she had never lived in a place that her parents didn't help her with.  She was a slob.  She stayed in her room all day.  She did nothing to help contribute to the function of the apartment.  She would throw a tantrum if she didn't get her way.  Finally I had had enough and asked to talk to her about it.  She threatened to kill me.  I called the police.

A few days later, I returned from work to find that Nancy and Maggie has just left.  Abandoned me and their cat, Marvin.  Their names are still on the lease.  I cannot remove them.  They refuse to return my calls.

This is where this story begins.  I'm completely broke, I'm broken, I'm alone.... but I feel great.  I feel that I have a chance to find myself again.  I spent three years in a relationship that was very unhealthy.  I let people walk all over me.  I become someone I don't recognize.

So join me in my adventures.  Come along as I try to figure out who I am, what I want from life.... let's share our joys, hopes, worries, despairs, and build a friendship that can support each other.

You don't have to see the whole staircase.  You just have to take the first step.

R.

5 comments:

  1. I wonder if James will ever realize what he has lost and return to you. Has he tried? Would you take him back? Has he moved on emotionally? If he was so great, why do you call your 3 years unhealthy?

    Are you still in the Ph.D program?

    You dont have to answer those questions... These are questions I have, and thought should ask

    Ana Z <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great questions Ana! He has not tried to come back... although, he does continue to try and talk to me as if we were still a couple. I don't think that I would take him back. He broke my heart into a million pieces... it's going to take a lot of glue to put that back together. Our three years were unhealthy because of his family. The worse his family treated me, the more I tried to be what they wanted me to be. Eventually, James started treating me the same way.

      Yes I am still in my doctorate program; however, it's an Ed.D.

      Thanks for your response and subscribe to keep following my adventures.

      Delete
  2. I am glad you're stronger and that you are moving forward... Sorry i wont be able to be there... <3

    Will subscribe.. I will try to figure out how!

    Ana <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever stop and think that James let you go so you wouldn't have to live trying to please everyone in his family and scutinized for every move you made? Maybe he wanted to see you live worry free and find happiness within a family that accepted you the way you are? Maybe he talks to you because he still cares and wants to make sure that you're doing ok? On the surface, things aren't always what they seem because it's a bigger pill to swallow than you'd like. I'm sure letting you go wasn't easy, but in his heart, he knows it was the right choice, but a very difficult one. Flip the roles, and see what you discover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is only the surface of everything... If people knew the whole of it, it would change opinions. Don't get me wrong... He's a great guy! And I appreciate all he's done for me. I was in a bad place when I wrote this, but now that I've had a chance to step back and look at things, I know that he was doing it for my benefit. Thanks for your opinion anonymous reader.

      Delete